Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Minibuses and Market day :)

Well, I will detail some of the interesting things about my life here!

Minibuses. I have finally gotten to the point where I am totally comfortable on them! For those who don't know, there is this road called the Minibus Yolu (minibus road) that runs parallel to the coast. This is what I take from Idealtepe (where the apartment that I am staying at is) to Altintepe (where the Byles live) every day. Its about a half an hour walk, which I didn't mind, until it came time to carry bags, etc.

The minibuses are smallish, with probably four rows of two-seaters and one three- or four-seater in the back. The drivers are nondescript most of the time. Each day I just say 63 in Turkish (the street up to the Byle's) and hand my 1.5 Turkish lira, and theres no problem. The drivers are often smoking, the people are quiet, often with iPods and MP3 players distracting them, and...what was that other thing? Oh yeah. As a foreigner, the driving here makes me just about soil my pants every freaking day. However, I have come up with a foolproof Istanbul minibus stance (I usually just stand because the little old ladies are on and off the buses and they need the seats):

Feet just a little more than shoulder-length apart (if theres room). Left foot pointing left, right foot pointing forward. Left arm holding upper bar on ceiling, right hand behind back holding bar. Whole body leaned up against hand on back bar. And let me tell you, that whole 2 minute ride is white-knuckled. I cling to those bars for dear life. The drivers come closer to the other cars on the road then I thought physically possible! There have been times that if the window were open, I could have leaned over 3 inches and lost half my face! Sheesh. Its quite the experience. Today it was really cute because the driver was a lot younger then the other ones I have seen...probably 20ish, and he had a buddy riding shotgun. I got in and gave the money, and the friend smiled at me and stared for a second, then sheepishly hopped out of his seat and offered it to me. I smiled and told him no, (I didn't want to get there and have to get up in two seconds to get off). So I stood there, and handed people's money up for them (a common thing). Those who sit in the back just pass the money forward to the driver, and then the change gets passed right on back. Then another minute later, and the guy motioned for me to sit on the center median between him and the driver, and it was right at that moment that I needed to get off. It was really cute because they were sweet and weren't perverted! Amazing how happy that makes me. 

LOKUM. (Turkish delight). Its yummy. :)

Tomorrow is market day! Every thursday, part of the city is unrecognizable due to the stands and booths that line the streets. Veggies, fruits, clothes, beans, cheese, shoes, jewelry, underwear, tablecloths, curtains...you name it. Its there. The first market day that I went to was so much fun! I bought a pair of pants (quite like gauchos) and when admiring one of the dresses in one of the booths, the guy gave it to me, saying (in turkish) "you are our guest!" It made my day. Throughout the market, people were handing me things to taste. New fruits I have never seen before were handed to me (and thoroughly enjoyed). 

I haven't been sleeping well at all lately...it has been really stressful. I don't know what is causing me to not get much sleep. I have been tossing and turning and waking up every hour. So needless to say, I am always exhausted which is really frustrating. I hope it doesn't last much longer! But seeing as though it is a little after 10 now, I have to start trying to fall asleep. :)

Love to you all, 
Marlies


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are having a fun adventure! Sorry that you can't sleep though.
    LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete