Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Istanbul, Turkey; May 2012

Another little memory.

A year ago, I was in Istanbul, being a home helper (even though I don't know if i was all that much help) for a missionary family. I learned so much and developed such a love for the culture. The people are so kind and open. One of my first days there, I got to go to the market. Every Thursday there is a section of streets on the Asian side of Istanbul that becomes a maze of booths; a seemingly never-ending sea of vendors with absolutely anything you might need. I was overwhelmed by the generosity and the beautiful pride the vendors had for their items. They all seemed so proud of their products -- so much so that they would wave me over and hand me strawberries and nuts, etc. I was looking at some clothing in one of the booths, and he told me "welcome to Istanbul" and gave me the pair of pants I was admiring for free. Some guys I saw weekly over the time I was there eventually started calling me over to take their picture, too. It was such a wonderful experience.

I will be back there someday.







No comments:

Post a Comment